Hong Kong, official known as the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (HKSAR), is an independent state that is part of the modern day China but operated as an independent polity having its own government.
Hong Kong, which is one of the smallest polity in the world is also one of the most visited places in the Universe. Its multicultural nature, shopping paradise, exquisite and colourful city outlook, top-notch international cuisine, enabling business, work environment and top class educational institution are few among the thousands of reasons why people pay a visit to Hong Kong.
Hong Kong Visa Types, Processing Time & Duration
|VISA TYPE||PROCESSING TIME||VALIDITY|
|Visit Visa||4 weeks||3 months|
|Employment Visa||4 weeks||24 months|
|Study Visa||6 weeks||Study duration|
|Residential Visa||No specific processing time||24 months -8 years|
General Requirements for a Hong Kong Visa
- Valid international passport
- Visa application form
- Passport photographs
- A copy of a financial document, such as bank statement, salary slip etc.
- Travel itinerary
Hong Kong Visit Visa
- Indians can visit Hong Kong visa-free for 14 days. Any stay longer than that will require a visit visa.
- Visit visa processing won’t commence until all documents and requirements have been received by the Immigration Department, HKSAR.
- Sponsors (if any) should provide a copy of there business registration certificate or Hong Kong’s identity card.
- Visit visa permits people to establish or conclude a business transaction, attend short-term seminars or business meetings, cruise around Hong Kong, and visit family members.
- This visa allows people to participate in exhibitions or trade fairs, but not allow them to sell goods or supply services to the general public.
- Holders of this visa are not eligible to work (paid or unpaid employment), establish a business in Hong Kong, or embark on a study in an educational institution.
- This visa can be extended at the time of expiration
- Extension of the Stay application form should be submitted 7 days before the current visa expires.
- Document needed for an extension of stay is current travel documents, a photocopy proof of financial breakdown (bank statement, salary slip).
- Application form for the extension of stay can be submitted in person or through a third party representation.
Hong Kong Employment Visa
- This visa type gives an individual the chance to take up employment or work as a professional.
- Employment visa is only applicable to those who have a vast level of experience and expertise in their chosen fields.
- This visa type allows an applicant to bring along with them their dependant(s).
- This visa can be extended.
- It is advisable that the application for extension of stay should be done 4 weeks before the current visa expires.
- The application can only be reconsidered if an individual is still in line with the General Employment Policies.
Hong Kong Study Visa
- This type of visa is meant for individuals who have been given admission or accepted to study at an educational institution in Hong Kong.
- Applicants must be from the age of 5 years and 8 months to 11 for primary education or below the age of 20 for secondary education.
- The applicants can bring along their dependents with them. Dependants could be a spouse or children who are below the age of 18 years old.
- Consent letter from parent or guardians is required for applicants below the age of 18.
- A letter of acceptance for a study/course is required during application.
- An applicant can also extend their stay in Hong Kong, provided they have not completed their studies. This application should be submitted 4 weeks before the current visa expires.
- An applicant is not allowed to study in more than one institution.
- An applicant cannot take up employment nor establish/join a business but can be granted the opportunity to intern.
Hong Kong Residential Visa
- This visa is under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme.
- Specifically for individuals who are skilled and had demonstrated a high level of professionalism in their career and wants to migrate into Hong Kong live and work.
- Applicants are graded, screened based on merit on how they can make HKSAR economically competitive among its counterparts in the world.
- Applicants don’t need to have an open vacancy before they apply for this visa.
- All applicants would be graded based on two point-based
- There are two methods namely General Point Test and the Achievement-based Point.
- Applicants would choose for themselves the type of test point they want to be accessed with.
- This visa type is based on the quota system because of the limited slot available
- Applicants that grades high from the test and how their expertise can benefit Hong Kong would be invited for an interview
Hong Kong Visa Fees
|VISA TYPE||VISA FEES (HK$)|
Hong Kong Visa Application Centres in India
|Mumbai, India.||9th floor, Hoechst House,|
193, Backbay Reclamation,
Commonly Asked Questions about Hong Kong Visa
What is the penalty for visitors who have breached their conditions of stay?
Any visitor who contravenes a condition of stay shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a maximum fine of HK$50,000 and to imprisonment for 2 years under section 41 of the Immigration Ordinance (Chapter 115), Laws of Hong Kong.
Do I need a visa/entry permit for visiting Hong Kong?
Nationals of about 170 countries and territories may visit Hong Kong without a visa/entry permit for a period ranging from 7 days to 180 days. India national can visit Hong Kong for 14 days without a visa.
What documents are required for application of extension of stay for a study visa?
The following documents are normally required when submitting an extension of stay application: a duly completed application form, the applicant’s travel document, and a letter from the institution confirming that the student requires extension of stay to continue the same study program and indicating the remaining duration of the study program and the expected date of graduation.